Wednesday, May 11, 2011

mini in review

We survived!
13.1 miles later and we're still alive, well, and considering implementing more 'athons' into our life!

The details:
We were officially Nick and Cheris because we traded another couple for our 5K positions
This made for funny updates sent to my brothers and a few friends :)
We began the race together running 2 miles, walking 1, running a 3rd and then splitting up when I took a restroom break
At this point I stayed with my friend and classmate, Kellie and we proceeded to walk mostly and run probably the equivalent of another mile throughout the remainder of the race
I finished at roughly 3 1/2 hours!
Joel (who is absolutely AMAZING) ran about 6 more miles and walked just over 3 finishing in just less than 3 hours!
I am so proud of him!

The not so funny part of finishing...you don't get to stop :(
You have to walk a few more blocks to get your medal, through the area to receive some snacks (which I nearly ate through their wrapping I was so hungry!) and then on to the Youth for Christ tent to talk to our fellow fundraisers about their day.
We got free burgers and fries and other food and sat for about 5 minutes before we had to walk to the bus.
Ouch...at this point I REALLY realized how sore my poor feet were!
During the bus ride home they swelled up and felt like they were going to pop out of my shoes!

That night we soaked and lounged, recovering from our 3am wake up call and less than 5 hours of sleep...
I am so pleased and blessed to have only mildly sore leg muscles and 2 blisters - so much less than could have happened!
Joel is struggling with his IT Band flare up (leg muscle issue - google it), an inflammed spot on his foot and 1 blister
Thanks to Kim's blister care blog we knew how to take care of these pests right away!

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you both!! It is so funny, but after committing to never again do it again, I am already thinking about next year! :)

    ReplyDelete