Tuesday, October 4, 2011

the best grilled cheese...ever.

I never knew there were so many ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich
I grew up with 2 slices of bread, a few slices of velveeta, buttering the bread and 'grilling' it on a skillet on the stove

Well, let me tell you - my eyes have been opened!
First it was my sister-in-law, Jill, who made the open face cheese, lunch meat, and garlic salt sandwiches
Then Kim posted about grilled cheese (twice) and I had to try my hand at a gourmet sandwich!

But then, in August, I tasted the best grilled cheese ever.
It didn't matter that it was pepperjack cheese (a favorite of mine) but it did matter that it was grilled in a bath of butter...not buttered and then grilled!
This grilled cheese discovery and revolutionized our late night snacking!

Just simply melt butter in the pan and set sandwich in it - make sure there's always butter under the sandwich so it doesn't burn
May have to flip a few times - but it is worth the wait!
It toasts it all the way up the sides too for a delicious crunchiness all around!

What is your favorite way to grill a cheese?!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever been to the Dash In? They have AWESOME cheese toasties!!! (but can't take Mylin, you have to be 21). If we have a tomato we put a slice or 2 in with the cheese. Just the other night we made cheese toasties with cheddar cheese, tomato, and sardines. We wanted to try sardines so we lined them on top of the cheese and put a tomato slice on top :) It was pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too grew up with only one way of a "cheese toastie" as we call it. :) We love to experiment with meat and cheese. We've even added jam to it! We typically add mayo when using meat. I will have to try the butter in the pan trick. We like to eat ours for lunch or Sunday supper. Have you ever done it with PBJ (no cheese involved, though)? That is the best too, especially with home made jam!

    ReplyDelete